You've got to come see how the Museum looks now! Over the past few months, the first floor has been completely rearranged. We've pulled our antique display cases out into the center hall and stocked them with all kinds of historical artifacts.
The hall itself is lined with new exhibits and leads to three more updated exhibit halls. In the Featured Exhibit hall there is a splendid new display of Native American arrowheads and artifacts from Dr. Tom Hester, a 2016 addition to the Board. For an overview of all our displays, please see the EXHIBIT page.
In the main hall, there's new paint, restored flooring, hanging boards, and banners. Were grateful to the Rotary Club for help with the painting and to David Baltz and Tod Geiling for the great job on the floors. By the way, the new floor outside the Women's room is made from the flooring of the old MFHS basketball court. see the MUSEUM NEWS page.
The new hanging system solves some of the problems of drilling into the daunting mass of granite and stucco that forms the museum's walls. It lets us show more of our collection of historical art and scenes from Marble Falls' past. The hanging banners make the hallway seem larger and show where the exhibits are.
At the front entry, the most noticeable change is the steep front steps have been replaced by a spacious entry porch. Now we have a wheelchair ramp with railing and room to turn into the front door. The old granite steps were reused so as to preserve the original street facade.
The new front porch has a recessed area for an array of sixty 12-inch memorial squares. The memorials are made of Sunset Red granite slabs and engraved with names of honorees. They can be purchased through the Museum office for a donation of $150 or more. See the SUPPORT US page.
In the front yard, we still have the native plant gardens and Monarch waystation, thanks to the volunteers in the Native Plant Society. It's been there since December, but to some our massive new granite sign facing the city make come as a something new. The slab of Texas Pink granite was harvested from a local scrap pile, transported, engraved, and mounted outside the Museum.
Inside the front door, visitors will notice that the welcome desk has been moved to the other side, next to the souvenir stand and water fountain. This has made way for our latest addition, an extraordinary new exhibit on Mormon Mill.
The accompanying photo shows the exhibit taking shape. The frame was assembled by Ken McBride using antique planks and traditional mortise and tenon techniques. A genuine, operational mill stone will be mounted on the frame and shelves will be lined with historic photos and artifacts from the Mormon settlement of Texas. Both the exhibit and the front entry improvements were made possible by generous donations from members of the Church of Christ of the Latter Day Saints, Marble Falls and Cedar Park Stakes.
Looking ahead, our next featured exhibit is slated to be the Magnificent Mountain, a history of Granite Mountain, the Marble Falls landmark. That will wrap up an incredible period of changes that have lifted up the Museum and inspired those who support it.
From prehistoric times to 1951, the Colorado River plunged over the falls at this location on its romp to the Gulf of Mexico. The falls, just upriver from the present Hwy 281 bridge, were covered by the waters of Lake Marble Falls after Max Starcke Dam was built in 1951.
Linens & Things
Exhibit Opening Day: February 18, 2017
Other Days to See: February 24, February 24
2001 Broadway Street
PO Box 1333
Marble Falls, Texas 78654
The Falls on the Colorado Museum
1:30 pm, February 18, 2017
Old Granite School, 2001 Broadway